Sunday, March 21, 2010

The World of Want...


I want it all!

Sections of stores, entire floors, departments, shops and websites heretofore ignored are suddenly catching my eye. I've given up all personal shopping (the fun's gone when I know I'll keep changing sizes) but now all those cute baby items are calling out to me.

Design and functionality are definitely in, and at an all time high? I'm not so much having sticker shock but options overload. I want the best and the latest but then I stop to ask... wait, did I have anything like this? Likely not... and how would I remember? My nine nieces and nephews, born in the 80s, grew up with simpler versions. The truth is that I'm living in a world of luxury and options that didn't exist before. And before I take the plunge, I have to ask, what does a baby really need?

I enjoy shopping of course. And I will splurge when I can. But I've also learned to be frugal over the years, having experienced the childhood turmoil of up-and-down finances, and the flagrant spending habits of siblings in debt. I think I overcompensated by creating a life that I can afford, but always looking for a deal... I'm a bit of a paradox, clipping coupons while enjoying some of the good things in life. But the world of want, when I fall into it, scares me. I know it can be endless, and often stop at instant gratification.

I have lists of items I "need" but they are also colored by what I "want." What if I limited my choices to not buying anything at all? To try a community approach of sharing and recycling?

Friends have already started to offer things, which I so appreciate, but many are also saving for their next or have already let go of some essentials. But there are some wonderful websites (see list) and resources to turn to--I decided to take on the challenge, and report my success here.

No comments:

Post a Comment